In 1914, the Ward Memorial Hospital was built. On January 4, 1945 the town of Primghar purchased the hospital. The newly named Baum Harmon Memorial Hospital was established and dedicated on September 6, 1970, in large part to the hospital's benefactress, Mrs. Ellen Baum.
Mercy Health Network represented by Mercy Medical Center-Sioux City purchased Baum Harmon Memorial Hospital on February 1, 2000.
On July 1, 1999, Marian Health Center became Mercy Medical Center-Sioux City. The name was changed when the organization joined the unified network of institutions, programs, and services throughout the state of Iowa known as Mercy Health Network. By joining MHN, Mercy Medical Center-Sioux City has strengthened the service they provide to western Iowa communities.
All of the Mercy Health Network, including Baum Harmon Mercy Hospitals and Clinics, share a common mission and vision that is rooted in the Catholic tradition of Catherine McAuley , the founder of the Sisters of Mercy.
In 2000, Mercy Medical Center-Sioux City, including Baum Harmon Mercy Hospital and Clinics, became a member of Trinity Health, Livonia, Michigan, and the third largest Catholic healthcare system in the nation.
The partnership of Baum Harmon Mercy Hospitals and Clinics with Mercy Medical Center-Sioux City/Mercy Health Network can offer increased access to a wider range of service and enhanced ability to meet the needs of the poor and underserved through the health ministry. In addition, the access to network financing and management expertise provides Baum Harmon Mercy Hospitals and Clinics with more opportunities to build and expand upon the already firm financial base.