It's Free and It's Fun!
Walking is one of the simplest, easiest ways for most people to get fit and lose weight. Mercy Medical Center and Southern Hills Mall are teaming up to provide a new Walk-Fit program to help you reach your fitness goals. Walk Fit is FREE and it's fun!
Please register to get started, and once you have logged 25 miles, you get your own Mercy t-shirt! To register online, click here. If you would prefer to register by mail, please pick up a Walk Fit brochure at the Southern Hills Mall (brochures are in the two Walk Fit standing signs). Complete the postcard that is attached to the brochure, tear off, attach a stamp, and mail the postcard.
To get your t-shirt, simply keep track of your miles on the mileage log and once you reach 25 miles, turn the log in at the Southern Hills Mall Office during normal office hours, Monday through Friday, 9 am - 5 pm. Wear your Mercy t-shirt whenever you walk at the mall—if our “mystery walker” spots you in your t-shirt, you could win a special prize! Please click here for a printable mileage log or get a copy of the mileage log in one of the two Walk Fit standing signs.
You can walk at the Southern Hills Mall from 7 am - 9 pm Monday through Saturday, and 9 am - 6 pm Sunday. One time around the entire mall walking route equals .7 mile. For a map of this route, click here.
Walking regularly can firm up your body and help you lose weight, make you less tense and more energetic.
- Always check with your physician before beginning any walking or exercise program.
- Try to walk at least three times a week, with days off between.
- Don't push yourself. If you can't talk comfortably while walking, slow down and rest for a few minutes.
- Be sure to wear shoes with a proper fit. Choose shoes that are the correct width and have plenty of room in the toe.
- Keep your shoulders back and relaxed. Let your arms swing naturally.
- Gentle stretching exercises before and after walking can help prevent injury.
10K A Day Challenge
September 7 - October 4, 2014
About 10 years ago, then U. S. Surgeon General, Dr. David Satcher issued "The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent and Decrease Overweight and Obesity" and set a goal for people to walk 10,000 steps a day. Mercy would like to challenge you to increase your steps every day, so we are offering a "10K a Day" challenge to our Walk Fit members. Here's how you can participate:
- Call 712-279-2177 and leave your name and phone number to register for the program.
- Pick up a pedometer and tracking sheet at the Southern Hills Mall office during regular business hours, Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5 pm.
- Wear your pedometer daily, attached to your waistband, pocket or shoe.
- Begin tracking and logging your daily step totals on September 7, and continue to do so through October 4.
- Aim for 10,000 steps (or more) a day for 28 days. Your personal goal is to increase the number of steps you take daily.
- Turn in your tracking form to the mall office by Monday, October 13
- Prizes will be awarded to those who average the most steps per day. Winners will be announced on www.mercysiouxcity.com and on Mercy Sioux City's Facebook page and will be notified individually with information on how to collect their prize.
It's easy and it's fun! Challenge yourself, improve your fitness level and enjoy better health!