It's Free and It's Fun!
Walking is one of the simplest, easiest ways for most people to get fit and lose weight. Mercy Medical Center and Southern Hills Mall are teaming up to provide a new Walk-Fit program to help you reach your fitness goals. Walk Fit is FREE and it's fun!
Please register to get started, and once you have logged 25 miles, you get your own Mercy t-shirt! To register online, click here. If you would prefer to register by mail, please pick up a Walk Fit brochure at the Southern Hills Mall (brochures are in the two Walk Fit standing signs). Complete the postcard that is attached to the brochure, tear off, attach a stamp, and mail the postcard.
To get your t-shirt, simply keep track of your miles on the mileage log and once you reach 25 miles, turn the log in at the Southern Hills Mall Office during normal office hours, Monday through Friday, 9 am - 5 pm. Wear your Mercy t-shirt whenever you walk at the mall—if our “mystery walker” spots you in your t-shirt, you could win a special prize! Please click here for a printable mileage log or get a copy of the mileage log in one of the two Walk Fit standing signs.
You can walk at the Southern Hills Mall from 7 am - 9 pm Monday through Saturday, and 9 am - 6 pm Sunday. One time around the entire mall walking route equals .7 mile. For a map of this route, click here.
Walking regularly can firm up your body and help you lose weight, make you less tense and more energetic.
- Always check with your physician before beginning any walking or exercise program.
- Try to walk at least three times a week, with days off between.
- Don't push yourself. If you can't talk comfortably while walking, slow down and rest for a few minutes.
- Be sure to wear shoes with a proper fit. Choose shoes that are the correct width and have plenty of room in the toe.
- Keep your shoulders back and relaxed. Let your arms swing naturally.
- Gentle stretching exercises before and after walking can help prevent injury.